Determine whether Village of Endicott (Village) officials ensured that non-payroll disbursements were appropriate, adequately supported and audited.
Village officials did not establish adequate procedures to ensure all disbursements are for appropriate purposes, adequately supported or properly audited.
- Key financial duties were not adequately segregated.
- Bank reconciliations were not performed correctly or in a timely manner.
- Claims were not properly audited.
- Of the $23.1 million in non-payroll disbursements made during the audit period, we examined disbursements totaling $287,210 and found they were supported and appropriate.
- Segregate financial duties or establish mitigating controls.
- Complete bank reconciliations accurately and in a timely manner.
- Properly audit all claims.
Village officials agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.