See our frequently asked questions for answers that may address your situation right away.
If you still have a question, contact us by completing the form below.
- How much is my claim?
To protect your privacy and prevent fraud, we can’t tell you the amount of your claim until we receive and confirm your proof of ownership. Once ownership is confirmed, you will receive a letter with the account details and amount of claim. Note that all items that appear online are at least $20 or one share of stock.
- What is the status of my claim?
If you have your confirmation number or claim reference number:
- check your claim status online, or
- call 800-221-9311.
- Where do I find my claim reference or confirmation number?
If you submitted your claim:
- Online, you would have received an email from us that included your confirmation number. Check your junk or spam folder if you can’t find it.
- By mail, you would have received an acknowledgement letter within 30 days. Your claim reference number is located in the upper right-hand side.
Use your claim reference or confirmation number to check the status of your claim.
If you didn't receive an email or letter, or lost your number, complete our contact form.
- How do I start a claim?
See step-by-step instructions for:
- For individual
- For a deceased person
- For a business or organization
- For another person
- How do I start a claim for deceased person?
- When will I receive my payment?
- Online claims for individuals are typically paid within two weeks. Claims for deceased owners usually take four to six weeks from the date you upload the requested documents.
- Mailed claims may take up to 3-4 months for us to review your claim and mail payment. You’ll receive an acknowledgement letter within 30 days of your claim.
To have your claim processed faster, submit your claim documents online.
- Do you send out letters to owners of unclaimed funds?
Yes. We send out letters to owners of newly reported unclaimed funds. If you received a letter from us:
- Go to Search for Lost Money
- Search for your name as it’s spelled exactly on the letter
- Follow the steps to submit your claim online
- What are Unclaimed Funds?
Payments, credits, gift cards, refunds, account balances and more, that have been issued and have gone unclaimed for a specified amount of time (Dormancy Period). Each type of unclaimed property has its own dormancy period (Property Type Table).
See Glossary for definition of Abandoned or Unclaimed Property.For more details on Unclaimed Funds
- How do I prove an old address?
See Required Documentation for acceptable forms of proof.
Helpful tip: Many people submit tax records such as W-2's and 1099's showing an old address.
If you can't provide proof, submit the claim and we'll respond with detailed instructions.
Other Ways to Reach Us
Monday through Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Office of the State Comptroller
Office of Unclaimed Funds
110 State Street
Albany, New York 12236