For police officers and paid firefighters working for New York State or any municipal employer in the State, membership in the New York State and Local Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS) is mandatory.
Employers are responsible for enrolling new employees into PFRS when their employment begins.
Special Plan Coverage
Your plan is listed in your Member Annual Statement, or you can contact us to verify your plan coverage.
Members who joined before July 1, 2009, and members who joined from January 9, 2010, through December 31, 2014:
You are covered by the special plans in this booklet, if:
- Your employer has adopted these benefits; and
- You elected the plan within one year of joining PFRS or of your employer adopting this plan, whichever is later (you must file your election in writing with the Office of the State Comptroller).
Members who joined between July 1, 2009, and January 8, 2010:
You are covered by one of the special plans in this booklet, if:
- Your employer has adopted these benefits;
- You elected the plan within one year of joining PFRS or of your employer adopting this plan; and
- PFRS determines that the special plan costs less than the Article 14 plan and enrolls you in the less costly plan.
Members who joined January 1, 2015, or later:
You are automatically covered by the special 20-year plan (Section 384-d), if your employer has adopted it.
Withdrawing from a Special Plan
You may withdraw your election to participate in a special plan after one year has passed.
If your date of membership is January 1, 2015, or later, and you are covered by Section 384-d, you may withdraw at any time. However, if you wish to elect a different plan, you must withdraw from 384-d within one year of electing the 384-d plan. To withdraw, file a Request for Withdrawal from Section 384-d (PF5466) form with the Office of the State Comptroller.