The purpose of this task is to create a new position in the Payroll System. Once a position has been created, agency staff can appoint an employee to the position. When an employee is appointed to the position, the Job Data pages will automatically be updated with the position-related characteristics.
- Most Positions for Executive employees are created by a nightly NYSTEP file from Civil Service NHRP524.
- SUNY Unclassified Staff positions are created by a nightly file from SUNY Central Office NHRP720.
- CUNY, UCS, and the Senate create their positions manually directly into PayServ.
- OSC manually creates positions for various agencies not covered by NYSTEP.
- OSC manually creates extra service positions at the request of the agencies.
- OSC creates NYS Positions at the request of the agencies.
Creating a New Position
Organizational Development > Position Management > Maintain Positions/Budgets > Add/Update Position Info
- Click Add/Update Position Info.
- Click Add a New Value.
- Clear the defaulted "00000000" value in Position Number and enter the new Position Number.
- Certain agencies have been assigned a range of numbers to be used for their agencies.
- OSC Position Management has assigned groups of Position numbers for extra service positions and NYS Position numbers to easily identify the positions.
- Click the Add button.
- On the Description tab enter the following:
- Enter the Effective Date, indicating the date the new position takes effect.
NOTE: The Effective Date of the position needs to be the same as or later than the Effective Date of the Job Code and Position Pool ID.
- Confirm the default Status of "Active".
- Confirm the Reason of "NEW" for this position.
- Confirm the default Position Status of "Approved" or click "PR-50 Posn" from the drop down list, if applicable.
- Confirm the default Status Date is equal to the Effective Date.
- Enter the Line Number associated with the position.
- If applicable, enter the Position End Date.
NOTE: The Key Position checkbox is not used.
- Leave NYSPY as the defaulted value for Business Unit.
- Enter the Job Code associated with this position.
- If necessary, update Reg/Temp by selecting a value from the drop down list.
- If necessary, update Full/Part Time by selecting a value from the drop down list.
NOTE: Do not select "Voluntary Reduction" in Full/Part Time. No position at the State of New York is defined specifically as a voluntary reduction position. Enter the Bargaining Unit.
- Confirm the Union Code.
- Enter the Job Code.
- Verify the value in the Title field. This is populated when Job Code is entered
- Verify the value in the Short Title field. This is populated when Job Code is entered.
- Detailed Position Description hyperlink is not used in processing.
- Verify the Default Region as USA United States.
- Enter the Department where the position is assigned.
- Company will be populated when Department is entered.
- Dept Location will be populated when the Department is entered. Update, if necessary.
- Position Location will be populated when the Department is entered. Update, if necessary.
- Enter Employee Type: H for hourly, E for exceptional hourly, S for all others.
- Enter or look up Comp Rate Code (Pay Basis Code).
- Enter the Earnings Program ID, indicating the earnings program for which the employees associated with this position will be eligible.
- Check the OT Indicator checkbox if the position is eligible for overtime.
- Update the Holiday Schedule field, if necessary.
Salary Plan Information
- Enter the Salary Admin Plan associated with this position.
- Enter the Grade.
- Enter the appropriate Equated to Grade, if applicable.
NOTE: If this field is populated, Approved Salary Rate should be left blank.
- Enter the maximum allowed pay rate in the Approved Salary Rate, if applicable.
NOTE: If this field is populated, Equated to Grade should be left blank.
- Confirm Standard Hours default of "40.00". NOTE: If position is for an exception hourly employee whose regularly scheduled work schedule is less than 40 hours, enter the correct number of hours per week. Employee type must be "E".
Click the Specific Information tab
- Update the Max Head Count, if necessary, indicating the greatest number of employees that may be assigned to this position.
- Leave the Update Incumbents checkbox unchecked.
- Include Salary Plan/Grade check box will be checked and grayed out. Open for edit.
- Confirm that the Budgeted Position checkbox is checked.
- Available for Telework is not used.
Education and Government
- Enter the Position Pool ID, indicating the funding source for the position.
- Enter the Jurisdictional Class by clicking the drop down list arrow and selecting a value from the list items.
- If necessary, update the Position FTE value.
- Confirm that the Adds to FTE Actual Count checkbox is unchecked.
Budget and Incumbents tab not used in this process
- Click the Save button.
A new position has been created in the Payroll System.