The purpose of this task is to process a change to an employee's tax distribution required for payroll processing. The tax distribution page is used to indicate the percentage of time an employee works in a tax location.
- Employee Tax Distribution is used to indicate when an employee has consistent work locations. For example, an employee can reside in one of the five boroughs of New York City and work in Yonkers full or part-time. An employee can also live in Yonkers and work in one of the five boroughs of New York City.
- Each time an agency processes a Hire, Rehire, Concurrent Hire, or Transfer, the Tax Location Code in Job Data should be verified and/or corrected based on the employee's tax withholding status.
- After an employee is hired into the system and the Tax Location Code is corrected on the Payroll page by inserting a row on Job Data, the system will update the employee's tax distribution.
- When an employee is hired into the Payroll System, the system defaults the State employment tax data to the Tax Distribution page using the Tax Location Code specified on the employee Job Data record.
- If an employee’s local tax data is updated to reflect that employee is not a resident of New York City, the employee’s tax distribution should be updated to reflect no values for locality.
Entering Employee Tax Distribution
Main Menu > Payroll for North America > Employee Pay Data USA > Tax Information > Update Tax Distribution
- Enter employee’s EMPLID.
- Check the Include History checkbox to view all rows for the employee.
- Click the Search button. NOTE: If more than one record matching the search criteria is found, select the correct employee record from the Search Results by selecting it once.
- Click the Add a new row (Alt+7) button.
- Enter the Effective Date of the tax distribution change. NOTE: For new hires, enter the Effective Date of one day after the actual hire date. For all other employees, change the Effective Date to the beginning of the current pay period
- Verify or enter the State.
- Enter the Locality, if applicable.
- Click the Save button.
The Employee Tax Distribution record has been updated.